Description of Harvard Graduate School of Education Video: Chair: Fernando Reimers, Ed.M.’84, Ed.D.’88, Ford Foundation Professor of International Education, and Director, International Education Policy Program, Harvard Graduate School of Education
• Lawrence S. Bacow, President in Residence, Harvard Graduate School of Education, and President, Emeritus,Tufts University
• Deborah Delisle, Nominee, Assistant Secretary of Elementary and Secondary Education, U.S. Department of Education, and former Ohio State Superintendent
• David Gergen, public service professor, and director, Center for Public Leadership, Harvard Kennedy School;
• Henry Rosovsky, Lewis P and Linda L Geyser University Professor, Emeritus, Harvard University
• Armando Vilaseca, Education Commissioner, Vermont Department of Education
At the core of debates about education reform, from K-12 to college and university, are alternative views on the purposes of education. What should schools and universities prepare students for? What defines an ‘educated’ person? What is the role of skills, character traits, knowledge and values in designing a well-rounded curriculum. The panelists will participate in a dialogue about what goals and means we should consider in educating students in our times.